Village of Clayton
111 Clayton Ave W • PO Box 63 • Clayton, WI 54004
Like most communities in Northwestern Wisconsin, it was loggers that first settled in Clayton. They found the greatest stand of white pine trees in the world waiting to be harvested. In 1874 the railroad arrived, making its way northward through many logging camps including Clear Lake, Summit, Pineville and Richardson. The end of the line was at the large sawmill located at what is now called Lake Camelia on the west edge of the Village of Clayton.