Village of Dresser
102 W Main Street • PO Box 547 • Dresser, WI 54009
The Village of Dresser sprang up in the 1880s around the Soo Line Railroad junction after local farmer Sam Dresser donated land for that purpose. His vision of a farming community served by the railroad was realized soon afterwards as people began to home-stead here. For a spell, it was known as Valley Junction after incorporation papers were filed. A year later, the name was officially changed to Dresser Junction because, as the railroad noted, there was a Valley Junction, S.D. In 1940, the village shortened the name to Dresser. Today, the Wisconsin Central Railroad runs only trap rock through Dresser. The old depot is still in use as a destination for the Osceola & St. Croix Valley Railway excursion trains. The Village is located near the original site of the Dresser Trap Rock Quarry crushing tower, built in 1916. The landmark survived until 1993 when fire destroyed it. Trap rock - volcanic rock dating back two billion years - continues to be mined by Dresser Trap Rock. Residents of Dresser are never in want of outdoor recreation throughout the four seasons: boating, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hiking, snowmobiling, are popular pursuits, as well as the facilities at nearby Trollhaugen where you can find alpine and cross-country skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing!